Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Watching DVD's on my Treo...

Well, what do you know... I'm watching a movie on my Treo. I got PocketDVD, MMPlayer (the Treo skin sucks, by the way) and am happily encoding my DVD's for viewing on the Treo. The settings I use to encode the movie are 272x176(48k pixels 160x160). My friend Tex has a Tungsten C and he uses 320x217 or so for his screen. (NOTE:We have since switched both to the same setting, its a lot faster and the visible difference isn't all that great. The tradeoff is definitely in favor of performance.) There are distinct differences between the units. I also set my viewer in MMPlayer for best fit in the full screen mode and it looks really nice. No skipping, the sound is great (but the Treo has some seriously good speaker action... compared to the Tungsten, its amazing.) Here is their set of instructions on optimizing the output for your purposes. I found a PQI 1 gig SD card the other day fro $109 (though Amazon has a 512 SD card, I didn't see a 1 gig version) and I can probably fit 10 movies on the card easily. I'll put some miscellaneous sitcom episodes on there, too. (and a note about transferring the resultant files to your SD card: their instructions [here]. "We recommend to use a memory card reader to copy & paste the output file into your Palm. This can be several times faster than Hotsync." Heh, I think they mean several million times faster... 1 MP3 file copying via HotSync takes a LONG TIME to copy and that's only about 3M. Can you imagine how log 80M takes? But his has wifi and mine doesn't. grr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home